View Single Post
Old 08.12.2013, 18:54
Banned

Groaned at 2,041 Times in 1,124 Posts
Thanked 5,139 Times in 3,246 Posts
omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat
Re: My review of Fibre in Zurich (FTTH/Init7/EWZ)

For a layman as I am your post is meaningless
Quote:
View Post
As there wasn't much info on FTTH in Zurich, I thought I'd share my experience on this.

I few months ago, a fibre connection was put into my flat as part of the EWZ fibre roll-out.

I cancelled my UPC connection and signed up with Init7.ch to be an internet provider.

The cancellation with UPC took several attempts, but the internet part has now been cancelled and the connection should hopefully be cancelled this month.

In the meantime, an engineer from EWZ came to fit the box (I asked and they wouldn't just send the box through the post and let me install it myself).

Since I was already running a LAN, set-up was a breeze. The only hiccups were:

1. IPv6 didn't work out of the box

Apparently there are known issues with EWZ configuration bodging things up at the layer 2 level. A call to Init7 had them deal with EWZ to fix the issue. Init7 tech support was top notch and identified the issue immediately.

I got an email at the weekend, even though consumer products do not get weekend support. Of course, EWZ do not work at the weekends, so it to a few days to resolve.

IPv4 connectivity wasn't affected and worked fine from day 1.

2. Very short DHCP lease times

IPv4 lease renewals takes place around every 120 seconds! I queried this and Init7 confirmed this was deliberate to avoid long lock-outs from a change in the equipment (they allow only one MAC address, so you'd have to manually release the lease or wait for the lease expiration).

Not an ideal set-up, and so you may want to pay 20chfs a month extra for the static IPv4 option. (You get a /48 IPv6 allocation for free on request).

Speeds

Speeds were as good as advertised. I went for the 60/60 option and speeds were at or above the rated level. Ping times are ~5ms.

Connection has been stable so far.