View Single Post
Old 10.12.2013, 23:48

Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
CDavis has no particular reputation at present
Re: Living in Neuch versus Fribourg (Type D student visa issued for Fribourg)

Quote:
View Post
Oh Okay, you are still in the States.

No, I'm pretty much sure they (canton Neuchâtel) will accept your request, after all the commuting time is only 50 minutes by train. It's a regional train with a stop every 3 minutes or so (12 intermediary stations between Neuchâtel and Fribourg). But because of X-Mas/ New year holidays, it might be too late to do the transfer thru the Swiss consulate. But you can still call the consulate and ask them if they can still transfer your file to immigration office of canton NE, that way on Jan 2nd, you directly go and register in Neuchâtel, bypassing the Fribourg immigration office altogether. This is a typical Swiss issue, as each canton is in fact like an independent country. You will never face something like that in UK, France or Italy...
Can't thank you enough for the advice. Has made me feel a whole lot better after the initial OH NO moment of finding out there was a problem. Fortunately I live close to two of the three US Swiss representations and I'll stop by San Francisco before I leave to see about making this change!

Any further suggestions? What is the best case I can make to them for approval?