View Single Post
Old 16.12.2013, 15:48
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 85 Times in 55 Posts
Thanked 2,502 Times in 801 Posts
Principia Discordia has a reputation beyond reputePrincipia Discordia has a reputation beyond reputePrincipia Discordia has a reputation beyond reputePrincipia Discordia has a reputation beyond reputePrincipia Discordia has a reputation beyond reputePrincipia Discordia has a reputation beyond repute
Re: SANA/Swiss fishing certification courses available in English

Quote:
I thought after 13 years here that I was thoroughly Swissified, but then this crops up. Are you seriously telling us that you need to take a test before being allowed to go fishing?
To put it simply, sort of.

In most cantons, an angler can excercise his right to Freiangelrecht on specific lakes, or get a day or a week pass without having passed a test. Anything longer than that and you need to take a course that can vary in length from a three or four hours to two days depending on the skills and desires of the angler. Naturally, it's very cost effective and far more convenient to have an annual permit, and some sections of rivers don't offer anything but annual permits.

Honestly, I think the test is a good thing. It primarily deals with fish identification, properly releasing a fish that is undersized, protected, etc., and proper dispatching of a fish to kept. Animal welfare laws apply to fish as well, and mishandling a fish (something that's pretty common and doesn't generally garner a second thought in many countries, including the US) is a punishable offense against animal welfare laws here, and knowing what those laws are is even more important for expats who may not be aware of Swiss sensibilities regarding a fish hanging in the air off the end of a line for 20 or 30 seconds...
This user would like to thank Principia Discordia for this useful post: