View Single Post
Old 19.01.2014, 15:48
jessmstan jessmstan is offline
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Paris
Posts: 7
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
jessmstan has no particular reputation at present
Re: Work permit (on paper), but no residence permit yet

Hi EricXing and All,

I was wondering if you or anyone else could help clarify the process which I have mapped out below regarding similar topic.

I have this week signed a Contract with a firm in Zurich. The Firm has submitted necessary documents to apply for a Work Permit to hire me as a NON-EU national. I am Australian.

My understanding of the process from reading the Swiss Immigration Websites in both French (currently I am in Paris on a working-holiday visa) and in English (from the Swiss consulate website in Sydney, Australia) is as follows:

1. Secure job and execute Contract. Employer submits application to the Canton and the process begins to go through the Canton and then the Federal Government department FOM.

2. In parallel, The employee, being me is to apply for a long-stay Visa D at the consulate in the country which I am currently residing, being France.
QUESTION: Do I have to do this in parallel with the application my employer has submitted or do I have to wait til after I have received positive response on the work permit?
OR has my employer already requested this Visa D by submitting the application?

3. Once the Work Permit has been approved by the numerous Swiss authorities they will advise the 'relevant Swiss diplomatic representation abroad' to issue visa.
QUESTION: What visa is this? the Visa D? or the Work Permit? As the address that i have provided my employer is the French address, can I as an Australian apply for the Visa D at the Swiss consulate in France?

4. I am to collect the visa/permit (questions above) from the 'relevant Swiss diplomatic representation abroad' which I assume should be a visa sticker inside my passport. Is this correct?

5. Once I have obtained this long-stay Visa D in my passport I can then enter Switzerland and register to apply for my 'residency permit L or B'. This may take sometime so I can ask for a 'temporary residency permit', in the meantime I can commence work.

Would appreciate any comments to help guide me. I am stressed out that I have to apply for a Visa D which will take up to 8 weeks - and the employer wants me to start in 6 weeks. I gather my employer does not know much about the residency permit process, although they have sponsored non-EU employees before.

Thank you very much. Appreciate all your time.
Reply With Quote