View Single Post
Old 20.01.2014, 10:58
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 19 Times in 19 Posts
Thanked 1,392 Times in 606 Posts
swiss_in_training has a reputation beyond reputeswiss_in_training has a reputation beyond reputeswiss_in_training has a reputation beyond reputeswiss_in_training has a reputation beyond reputeswiss_in_training has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Supplementary insurance while being pregnant ("existing condition")

Quote:
View Post
Actually I do wonder what is the difference for birth in private vs public. One concern is that in many countries unless it is a good/private*** hospital, they are impatient with people giving birth. For example, often going for stitches even though it is possible not to but requires more patience on doctor and other's side.
I don't think that's much of an issue here (though I'm sure it is in other countries). I've had two children in Switzerland under the basic insurance. For the first, I was given a labor room even though I was only 2 cm dilated (and I'd be there for 12 more hours before the birth). I wasn't rushed to deliver, and it was a complicated birth, attended in the end by two head doctors. I also needed a whole lot of stitches afterwards...

I have heard stories from two friends who felt rushed at Unispital in Zurich, but I think that's more of an issue with them being more surgical than other hospitals, rather than a public/private issue (since both women were on private insurance).

As far as the differences, for basic you'll be attended to by a less-experienced doctor (not an Oberarzt/head doctor) unless something interesting happens, in which case the Oberarzt will come. The room for recovery (not for delivery, obviously) is also shared by up to four women for basic. For half-private, you have one roommate, private patients get a single room-and both half-private and private rooms have a bathroom en suite. The menu may also be different for half-private and private patients and at some hospitals the private wards are in a different area.

Basically, the extra money is for the room, since if you actually need the extra medical care, you'll get it in any case. I would also look into negotiation for a private or half-private room, with the understanding that you could be asked to move if they need the space for someone carrying private insurance.
This user would like to thank swiss_in_training for this useful post: