View Single Post
Old 22.01.2014, 13:59
Newbie 1st class

Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
ccaasseeyy has no particular reputation at present
Re: Leaving 3 year swiss rental contract to move abroad

Thanks everybody for the feedback so far - all very helpful,

just to cover on some of the pertinent points;

First, in no way do we want to bail on the contract. It's not right, either morally or legally. We are moving to Amsterdam and my company are aware of this, it would not be too hard to be tracked down.

Second, we are on SwissCaution - sacrificing the deposit is not an option.

Third, I agree with being locked into 3 years being unreasonable if you are leaving the country. Technically, we have surrendered our B-permits so we do not have the right to work in Switzerland but have to pay a lease in Switzerland. In the Netherlands for example, tenants have diplomatic rights whereby if you leave the country rather than "dont like the flat/rates/area" you can get out of the contract. I am assuming there is nothing similar to this.

Finally - to the above - this is exactly the case. As it was a newly built apartment the minimum lease was 3 years. We thought we would do the majority of this time - however my current job situation turned sour quickly, alongside being headhunted for another company.

I guess in summary - there are no legal workarounds, and no way to get out. Hopefully the market will pick up in February or March, or maybe I can make an offer to the landlord to release me from the contract early. Has anybody had experience of this?

But, however unlikely, it is quite scary thinking of paying up another 2.5 years of a lease in Lugano!