View Single Post
Old 23.01.2014, 20:58
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 73 Times in 52 Posts
Thanked 3,178 Times in 1,089 Posts
Pachyderm has a reputation beyond reputePachyderm has a reputation beyond reputePachyderm has a reputation beyond reputePachyderm has a reputation beyond reputePachyderm has a reputation beyond reputePachyderm has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Picking a 3a Fund; Researching and Tracking Performance

Quote:
View Post
Is SwissQuote good for investing in funds? I have been hesitating about Interactive Broker...as one needs to fork 10'000 USD at once....

Is there actually a platform that provides a simple way to invest in funds? Simple for me means no much charge for transactions / holding and easy to open an account....
SwissQuote (SQ) seems to offer a lot of funds, yes, but I don't know how they compare with IB on charges. I've used them only for buying equities. I did look at using my bank but their charges seemed too high. ETFs or simple trackers tend to be cheap as there is little buying and selling by the fund manager. Actively managed funds will always be relatively expensive. You have to pay for the supposed expertise as well as the costs of dealing. (Read the Tim Hale book before jumping into managed funds -- it's eye-opening. Most managed funds don't even beat trackers once you include charges.)

SwissQuote seem OK to me. I wouldn't wax lyrical about them but buying and selling seem straightforward and quick. For Switzerland their charges are OK, though I was annoyed to see it would cost me 100 CHF to get a tax statement each year.

You'll have to expect a certain amount of complexity when opening an account with any broker. It's just like opening a bank account -- the authorities need to know all about you for tax and money laundering implications. No way round that. But once you've opened it, it becomes much simpler.

Last edited by Pachyderm; 23.01.2014 at 21:34.
This user would like to thank Pachyderm for this useful post: