View Single Post
Old 30.01.2014, 12:08
Casall Casall is offline
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Geneva
Posts: 7
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Casall has no particular reputation at present
UK SA tax return - HELP!

Hello all,

I am panicking a bit about submitting the UK tax return by the end of tomorrow and would need some advice...

I worked in CH for the whole tax year 2012-2013 and spent less than 91 days in the UK, therefore I am a non-resident. I have also done other residency tests and have not been a UK-resident for the past 3 years, but they sent me the self assessment tax return, because I did not fill in the residence pages in my last return.

I am using an external software to submit the tax return online. After completing the foreign income and residence pages, the form calculates the tax that I apparently owe to HMRC.

According to the calculation I owe MORE than what I paid taxes in CH. This cannot be correct. As a non-UK resident I should not owe anything at all.

I am shocked. Surely I would not need to pay any tax at all since I was not a UK resident during the tax year.

If I declare less than what I actually earned, will they investigate that and come after me?! Will they ask for any proof of earnings etc.? Surely it is none of their business what I have earned and how much I have paid tax if I am non even a UK-resident?
Reply With Quote