View Single Post
Old 18.02.2014, 14:50
Newbie 1st class

Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
ice29 has earned some respectice29 has earned some respect
Re: Customs Clearance of Household Effects

I filled in the form when I moved here with my car (actually I think that paper is only necessary for the car) - they just stamped it without checking anything.. I just stated that I will bring other stuff later (just picked a random month). I thought that I absolutely must do it when I cross the border, so I arranged my trip so that I manage to get to Au during customs office opening hours - only then found out that you can do it later as well... (again it only probably makes sense for the car, maybe if you have piles of gold or very expensive jewelery or I don't know...)

I have imported another (personal) stuff (by car) a few times since then - when I brought my other bike, I drove across the Liechtenstein border. The officer was a bit amazed that I am crossing this one and not the big one in Au. I showed him my permit and the original customs clearance formular (didn't have a new one for the stuff I was carrying) and told him I have already imported something, and want to import additional stuff now. He had no idea what to do Went to talk to an older colleague, that one just shrug his shoulders.. I told him that I can write down another list if he wants, but he told me that it doesn't help since I can write anything on the list and he must let me import it. Then he saw a bike on the rack, wondered if it's the one that I already imported (I have 4 bicycles...) and wanted to persuade me that it's not older than 6 months (actually it was a 4 years old cyclocross bike, a bit bruised etc.). After that he let me go. Another time I just told the officer I am bringing another personal stuff again (the car was fully packed) and they just asked if I carry any alcohol as well, didn't check anything else (not even my papers)
This user would like to thank ice29 for this useful post: