View Single Post
Old 17.04.2008, 23:39
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 36 Times in 25 Posts
ticino has earned some respectticino has earned some respect
Re: Evaluation of US high school diploma

Quote:
View Post
That being said, I think the more important point is whether a European university is right for your son. I've also had experience in both university systems, and for someone raised with US education, switching systems is quite a shock. Quite honestly, if I had been a regular student instead of an exchange student in Switzerland, my grades would not have made the cut and I would have most likely been kicked out.
Having studied in Europe and the US, I very much agree with PKV. I feel that studying in Europe (I exclude the UK here) is tougher in a sense (you need to spend more time studying on your own, the exams are much, much more difficult, its quite normal to fail in a few courses and having to retake them, etc.). However, I still feel that the US university education is superior in the end as it forces you more to think outside of the box, is broader, and puts more emphasis on social skills.

I don't know what your son wants to do in the future and how ambitious he is - but studying at a well-known school in the US might give him better international career prospects than a degree from a not so well known university in Geneva (with a US degree you can easily find a job in Europe or Asia, the other way round it might be more difficult).