View Single Post
Old 11.03.2014, 08:05
Forum Legend

Groaned at 177 Times in 154 Posts
Thanked 16,855 Times in 6,854 Posts
NotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond repute
Re: My kitchen sink faucet broke (pipe inside) and burst in my kitchen

This happened to us in our first week in Switzerland, on an Easter Monday. Fortunately, we were able to turn of the water, and our neighbours got us the emergency plumber.

The landlord's insurance covered it. (They went after the kitchen installer who hadn't secured a pipe properly).

Remember the default setting of any landlord will usually be "you need to pay for it/you need to claim on your insurance". In this case, it's far more likely to be the landlord's responsibility. Make sure any water damage is clearly documented. Our landlord tried to stiff us for carpet cleaning when the visible tide mark was obviously caused by the flood. If a dehumidifier is required to dry the room, that should be paid for out of insurance and the cost of electricity to run it.

As noted, most likely your insurance will talk to the landlord - especially if it needs to come off his insurance!

If in doubt, join and talk to the tenants association. (Mieterverband in German).
The following 3 users would like to thank NotAllThere for this useful post: