View Single Post
Old 19.04.2014, 23:52
Forum Legend

Groaned at 80 Times in 65 Posts
Thanked 5,153 Times in 1,978 Posts
Samaire13 has a reputation beyond reputeSamaire13 has a reputation beyond reputeSamaire13 has a reputation beyond reputeSamaire13 has a reputation beyond reputeSamaire13 has a reputation beyond reputeSamaire13 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What is the fastest way to learn Swiss German?

Well, even (High) German native speakers don't understand, let alone speak, Swiss German unless maybe they've grown up very close to the border. I know quite a few who, even after 15 years in Switzerland, speak no more than a couple of words of Swiss German, though they understand it to some extent or other.

The problem is that it's more than a dialect, though not a fully separate, own language. But it has dozens of dialects even within it. I'm Swiss born and bred but lived in different parts of the country, and believe me, there's words in some areas I didn't know before moving there

You're already further than most and have a solid understanding of German, which is a good start. There are books with Swiss German words (http://www.amazon.de/Schwyzerdütsch-...hweizerdeutsch - no idea though if it's any good). I realize you don't want to take another course, but I still want to mention that the Klubschule offers Swiss German courses, same here, not sure if they're any good, but why not consider them: http://www.klubschule.ch/Angebote/Sp...hweizerdeutsch Also, agree with a Swiss friend to only converse in Swiss German. I know this is difficult and especially Swiss have a tendency to quickly switch to either High German or English (or French depending on the area they live in) to make it easier, but if you set up the "Swiss German only rule", it might be worth a try. Or maybe you'll find yourself a tandem/language exchange partner?
This user would like to thank Samaire13 for this useful post: