View Single Post
Old 28.04.2014, 00:12
Forum Legend

Groaned at 34 Times in 30 Posts
Thanked 25,923 Times in 8,020 Posts
meloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Kill stray cats: Swiss environment official

Quote:
View Post
chipping semi-feral farm cats would not be easy I think, so I'm not sure there would be much compliance.

Killing cats is the typical idea of bird-crazed biologists. There was a guy here who shot every cat that entered his garden because they disturbed the biotope.

Spaying is better imho, this way if it's a genuine mistake and the cat was just a domestic cat, no harm is done.
Sounds pricey though.
Some of the rescues I liase with in other countries who practice CCR (catch, castrate, release) to reduce the feral cat and dog population will chip the animal while castrating. Then if the animal is caught a second time the chip data includes that the animal is castrated/spayed. (With females it is not always obvious.) The cost of a chip is pennies, the animal has already been sedated, and it saves the expense of a second op.

In countries where resources to chip/read chips are not available, tattooing or ear notching the animal is often done in lieu of chipping - again, a visible sign that the animal has already been castrated.

But I'm mostly thinking of mandatory chipping of outdoor pet cats, for their own protection as a way to distinguish them from ferals. (And I agree - all cats who go outdoors should be castrated/spayed.)

The issue of ferals is complicated as there is no owner to take responsibility or pay the costs.
This user would like to thank meloncollie for this useful post: