View Single Post
Old 07.05.2014, 12:28
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 1,983 Times in 642 Posts
Vlh22 has a reputation beyond reputeVlh22 has a reputation beyond reputeVlh22 has a reputation beyond reputeVlh22 has a reputation beyond reputeVlh22 has a reputation beyond reputeVlh22 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Insurance covering psychologist

I have been told (by my psychiatrist) that it depends what kind of psychologist you want to see.

If you go to see a psychologist who is practising on a private basis, then basic insurance won't cover it.

If, on the other hand, you go to see a psychologist who is practising under the supervision of a psychiatrist, then basic insurance will cover it.

For example, I attend a large centre which provides both psychiatric and psychologist care. Both are covered by insurance because the psychologists are overseen by psychiatrists.

Just a word of advice (which is clearly advertised in the my centre) - mental health services of any kind are very expensive, so make sure you take out insurance with the lowest franchise (deductible), even though the premiums will be higher. I pay between CHF 200 and CHF 300 per week. If I had a franchise of, say, CHF 2,500, I'd have to pay all of that out of my own pocket before the insurance kicked in. But as I have the lowest franchise (CHF 300 with Assura), I only have to pay for one or two visits in full and then pay the 10% of each bill after that.