View Single Post
Old 05.06.2014, 22:37
Forum Legend

Groaned at 34 Times in 28 Posts
Thanked 4,089 Times in 1,815 Posts
Anjela has a reputation beyond reputeAnjela has a reputation beyond reputeAnjela has a reputation beyond reputeAnjela has a reputation beyond reputeAnjela has a reputation beyond reputeAnjela has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Charging of Fees to Rent an Apartment in Geneva

Quote:
View Post
Hi All,

We are moving to Geneva shortly. We have a relocation agent based in Lausanne, and we have a contract with him to pay his fees even though we are the ones to search, find and visit (alone) all apartments in Geneva.

My husband found an acceptable apartment for us in Geneva and the agent who showed him the apartment told him that they normally charge a fee equal to one months rent (this is more than we will pay our relocation agent) for finding the apartment and doing the paperwork. We found the apartment listed on Homegate.

Is this normal practice? In every other country I have lived, all fees related to tenants are paid by the owner.

Thanks!
Not something I've come across when renting in Geneva, if you've found the apartment the letting agent doesn't usually expect you to pay extra just for showing you the place and you then accepting it; he's being paid by the letting agency.
What are you paying your relocation agent for if you're doing all the work????
Let him answer this sort of question!

NB: renting in the UK you would certain find yourself pay some fees, as a landlord there I certainly wouldn't expect to pay for your credit and background checks, etc. Although I would pay the agents to write the agreement and organise the signing of same.
This user would like to thank Anjela for this useful post: