View Single Post
Old 27.06.2014, 06:46

Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
DT1052 has no particular reputation at present
Re: Exchanging a lot of currency

I initially tried to open one at UBS. I've heard only recently that PostFinance may give me an account without the residency permit (I have a work visa, work permit and hiring documents).

I can try going to the accountant as currently I have only dealt with the admin who has handled all my employment paperwork. It is a check in CHF that she told me only can be cashed at the Post Office. I asked others in the department and they told me their first paychecks were given the same way. They could deposit subsequent checks into their banks but the first one, they had to get cash and deposit it themselves.

My US bank doesn't have a Swiss subsidiary but would accept an international check without any fees but I'm told this one can only be cashed at the post office.

I've found it pretty easy to look at American banks and services for the exchange rates and fees online. I've had a bit more trouble with finding them online for Swiss banks and agencies. I've looked into several banks (UBS, Postfinance, Migros, Coop, etc...), travel cards, money exchangers but I don't have an actual approximate exchange rate for these places. My current plan was to visit Postfinance in the next few days to try to make an account and hope for the best there.

Otherwise, I'll probably have to do a currency exchange somewhere or try to find someone to do a wire transfer with me (25 CHF is very reasonable).