View Single Post
Old 20.07.2014, 12:59

Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
greengrass10 has no particular reputation at present
Re: possible to claim VAT on online purchases?

Quote:
View Post
So amazon.de and amazon.fr ship with Swiss tax paid. Are you leaving Switzerland and want to claim this tax back? It is possible at the exit border crossing, but the admin fee is about Fr 50,--

It was mentioned on EF before, so you need (AS ALWAYS) to search the forum.
Thanks for your response. I did do a "VAT" search before I posted this question and saw the thread you refer to. That thread discusses primarily about whether or not VAT is charged or should be charged, how it is calculated, why there is no amazon.ch, and whether amazon.de or amazon.fr ship to switzerland. If you read carefully, my question was on a different issue which was not clearly answered in those threads - it's a question "can we claim back VAT on online purchases made in Switzerland?". I'd like to just know "yes" or "no". It's a bit confusing as you seem say it's "yes" if we pay a 50 chf administrative fee, whereas in the thread above someone vaguely says "no" and that it's not possible to get back VAT on online purchases.

It would be good to have some clarity on this.If this was a normal purchase in a retail store in switzerland, the shop would have to provide us with a stamped VAT form on the purchase to bring to the VAT office at the airport to get back the VAT. However, this is an online purchase. What is the procedure for this? Are there any papers that need to be provided, or is the purchase invoice enough? Or where can we find out the official procedure at the Swiss border crossings for this? Thanks.