View Single Post
Old 21.07.2014, 11:24

Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
London2010 has earned some respectLondon2010 has earned some respect
Re: Hoping to move from Sydney to Zurich! Are we dreaming??

Hi There,

How exciting that you are thinking of Switzerland! We moved to Basel Switzerland about 2 years ago. My husband is not swiss nor am I and he landed a job prior to coming which made life easy cause they provided a moving company and a bonus monetary amount for relocation which helped with the hefty deposit they wanted for the flat.

May I take a minute to promote Basle to you as an option!

Basel is very international as well, small town feeling, amazing place to raise a family; super safe I find, excellent public transportation system an international airport, beautiful parks for the kids its own english expat magazine to inform you of all the events on a monthly basis, cheaper rent than zurich and from what I am told easier in Basel to find an apartment than in zurich.

Also there are many playgroups that are english based for the expats in town. Look at BCT ( Basel Childrens Trust) and for your older child well the magazine will have many activities listed every month that are great. This city is filled with musuems which have activities sometimes for older kids. Also there is a fall festival that is great, a lovely christmas market, and of course the big carnival in Feb or march depending each year.

It is very expensive to live in Switzerland in general as you know from visiting the pricing is a little high...so if it was me I would want to move over here only if my husband had gained employment and the company will pay to relocate your belongings if that matters to you. perhaps you are looking for a short term living arrangement...

hope this helps all the best,

Cheers,

Pamela