View Single Post
Old 21.07.2014, 12:20
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
tildaoz has earned the respect of manytildaoz has earned the respect of manytildaoz has earned the respect of many
Re: Hoping to move from Sydney to Zurich! Are we dreaming??

We're an Australian family who moved when our daughter was 2 years old. She's now very happily fluent and about to enter the fourth class. When she was in the first class there was a boy who started with no German at all who is now fluent and able to complete all the work. My husband and I spoke no German when we arrived, so having one of you speaking the language is a real bonus, especially when dealing with schools etc

From your own point of view, your 3 year old is your best asset when it comes to meeting people. I joined different playgroups with my daughter and we both made friends, which made a big difference. I have such little involvement with my daughter's school compared to how it would be in Australia, and that coupled with the fact she walks there by herself means I don't see other parents regularly, so it's important to develop a social network through other means.

We live in Meilen, which is about 15 minutes by train from Stadelhofen. There are quite a few English speakers here but we by no means live in an English 'bubble', which suits us perfectly.

Good luck with your planning!

Writing and Research Skills Zürich: www.writingandresearchskills.com