View Single Post
Old 21.07.2014, 13:25

Groaned at 5 Times in 2 Posts
banadol has earned some respectbanadol has earned some respect
Re: Hoping to move from Sydney to Zurich! Are we dreaming??

if you haven't already done this, you can apply for swiss citizenship for your kids through the swiss embassy. again this makes it easier and then only you will have to apply for a permit. it is very straight forward and won't take too long. you can even just register them with the embassy and then get them the passports once you arrive in switzerland (that's what we did, saves some $$).

we moved from nz, via germany, to smalltown switzerland, and as every place it has its advantages and disadvantages. my hubby is from sydney and always called himself a big city person but now loves provincial town living. i have family here, so i would definitely recommend moving as close to family as possible (but not too close for comfort). makes everything so much easier.

so sydney vs small town switzerland (which is assume wil would be):
+ hardly any crime
+ kids can walk to school
+ not car dependent as public transport is awesome
+ can't think of more but sure others could add

+/- living expenses are about the same, some things dearer some things cheaper
+/- four seasons, lovely spring, variable summers (ranging from wonderful to crap), colourful autumns and often cold and dreary winters (especially if you live around the zurich area)

- no ocean, beaches (for me that is a biggie but it might not bother you so much)
- the swiss are a bit hard to get to know and often resent change, but then as in oz (and anywhere else for that matter), not everyone's the same
- often less living space, no garden (but then lots of people do), more communal living although it often doesn't feel like it (people keep themselves to themselves)
- again others can think of more

just do it! you might love it, you might not. nothing is set in stone and you can always go back if you don't like it. it'll be an awesome experience if you have the right attitude. good luck!
This user would like to thank banadol for this useful post: