View Single Post
Old 27.07.2014, 13:57
Forum Legend

Groaned at 102 Times in 91 Posts
Thanked 9,771 Times in 4,116 Posts
Carlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Recent Ebola outbreak

Quote:
View Post
No official has proclaimed that so far. That's what's worrying me. The Bird flu was a mountain made out of a molehill, while the exact opposite may be true for the current Ebola outbreak.
I don't agree. As others have pointed out Ebola burns itself out too quickly, while flu can be hidden for up to 2 weeks, Ebola patients show visible signs within 2-3 days. Containment is therefore much easier.

Quote:
View Post
I was just reading this (Why Ebola is so dangerous, linked from 25 more deaths) and wondering, if people are being told not to shake hands, whether sweat was another secretion to avoid. Apparently it is:
Ebola spreads through any bodily secretion. It is called "contact transmission" and means infected liquids needs to be in contact with uninfected persons.

This has all been stated here already. Ebola, however, is not a alone and there are several other nasty viral hemorrhagic types around including Marburg and yellow fever amongst others. Africa has been dealing with these for years.

The difference is not tree cutting per se, rather it is due to infected animals being moved because of the tree cutting therefore exposing the disease to new areas, as well as greater movement of populations and easier international travel.