View Single Post
Old 03.09.2014, 21:22
Forum Legend

Groaned at 164 Times in 105 Posts
Thanked 8,424 Times in 3,486 Posts
Uncle Max has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Max has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Max has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Max has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Max has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Wi-Free by Cablecom, the good, the bad and the ...

Quote:
View Post
I am offering my Paranoya-As-A-Service approach:

TLDR version - remove the antennas of your upc modem and install a separate AP/wireless router fully managed by you. These are dirt cheap to buy these days.

When I originally got my modem from upc, the WLAN was poor at best. So, I called them a few times, and after changing two modems I told them I wish to return the device as useless for my apartment (basically signal didn't go outside the living room). They decided to keep me as a customer and waived 3 months of invoices, so I can buy my own wireless router.

I proceeded to buy a proper wireless router, which is attached as an AP to the upc modem. I have removed the original modem antennas, so upc should not expect good signal beaming out of my box...

Cheers

Oh, and thank you @Sbrinz - just deactivated the service on myUPC website.
Hmm, not the first time I've heard of crumby, unreliable WiFi from the 'all in one' box beyond my own teeth grinding experience. Is the consensus one ought to get a stand alone router rather than rely on the UPC built in version? IMO it's a bit rubbish whereas the old, free standing router previously worked a treat.

Sorry to hijack the thread but their support are a waste of time and you lot seem to know your onions.

Is the aim of WiFree to encourage us to drop our mobile phone contracts with the traditional operators and switch to UPC's recently pushed mobile packages? Is it realistic to rely on WiFree VoiP? I require adult help.