View Single Post
Old 20.09.2014, 13:03
Newbie 1st class

Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
1234letsgo has no particular reputation at present
Mold/high humidity in Zurich apartments: is that a common problem?

Hi all,

I had mold problems in my previous apartment in Zurich. In my new apartment we had only small occurrences of mold that quickly went away, but still we have high humidity.

I got a humidity reader and it reads always around 70%. Now, the common advice is to open often the windows, and I do that but it doesn't seem like a solution: It goes maybe to 65% after an hour, only to go back to 70% soon. So I got a dehumidifier, but I am not sure how good of a solution it is. Even if I leave it running the whole day and puts the humidity down to almost 50, the next day is up again to the old levels, so it seems a bit like a waste of electricity.

The reason this is a problem is that I am having very often respiratory problems (bronquitis, asthma, allergies, sore throats etc) and I believe is related to it, or aggravated by it, as the humidity in the rooms should be ideally between 35% and 50% if you have this kind of problems.

Does anybody have similar issues?

Both apartments are pretty old, from the 60s or 70s, so we are seriously considering getting a new modern apartment, which I hope are better prepared to deal with it.

Do you think this is the right idea? Or I was just unlucky with these 2 apartments?