View Single Post
Old 08.10.2014, 21:26
Forum Legend

Groaned at 590 Times in 377 Posts
Thanked 11,548 Times in 5,941 Posts
Sbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: where to look for jobs with no job qualifications

I believe what you are trying to do is almost impossible. 10 years ago I was unemployed for 2 years, followed by 2 years on social security. I do know the impossibilities of finding work when you are over 60 years of age. And I can work in both German and French speaking areas, I have certificates to prove I did, successfully, for 17 years.

We are surrounded by EU countries, most of which have heavy unemployment and stagnation. The younger EU people arrived here years ago and have managed to find a way of life, taking up the cheaper unskilled / semi skilled jobs. Many have retired and returned to their home countries. There is no minimum wage here, no free health insurance, the apartment rental here is higher than in Germany or France. With one adult cleaning wage you will barely survive here, it won't be the promised land.

The Swiss unemployment figures, about 3%, are deceptive. Once you have used up your unemployment credit, after about 18 months, you are no longer an unemployed statistic - you are now a social security statistic. So the figures look good, on paper!

The good news is the Swiss government will give you a lot of support as you are a returning citizen. Please ask the Swiss embassy in NZ.

The best idea so far is to cancel the sale of your home, and come here for a long holiday, maybe staying with your relatives. During this time try and find work. If you do, you can stay here, if not you can go back to NZ with not too many loss of assets.

The following 5 users would like to thank Sbrinz for this useful post: