View Single Post
Old 15.10.2014, 02:48

Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
SusieM has no particular reputation at present
Re: where to look for jobs with no job qualifications

I think with your citizenship, language skills, attitude and flexibility you'll be fine. You already have many advantages that other unskilled workers don't and, generally speaking NZ/Swissies are well-liked here

I'm sure you'll both find something suitable, given time (and if not you'll have had an amazing extended holiday).

Oh, and +1 for the "NZ is stupidly expensive" camp. We went back for a visit last Christmas, and couldn't believe how much prices have gone up in the last few years.

If you don't mind reducing your meat intake, looking out for specials and don't eat out too often, you can get by on quite a small food budget here (even with copious amounts of chocolate, cheese, wine and beer!). Power is cheaper here. Fuel is a bit cheaper (and you can get a decent older car for next to nothing), or public transport is a viable option. Clothes are about the same, or cheaper when the sales are on. Ikea is reasonably priced and much better quality than any of the crap you can get from the budget furniture retailers in NZ. And if you like op shops you can often get things for next to nothing here (Oh, dear. This has turned into a bit of an anti-NZ rant. I didn't mean for that to happen. I love the place, honestly...)

Health insurance, on the other hand, is ludicrous here. And unavoidable.

So just do it. Give yourselves a realistic timefram to find a job, and if it doesn't happen, so be it. Just remember, while you're putting in the hours job-hunting, to also get out there and enjoy yourselves
This user would like to thank SusieM for this useful post: