Thread: Flu shots?
View Single Post
Old 06.11.2014, 10:23
Forum Legend

Groaned at 121 Times in 105 Posts
Thanked 16,857 Times in 5,912 Posts
PaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Flu shots?

Quote:
View Post
The only time I got the flu in the past 10 years was the only season I got vaccinated. Go figure.

Some key facts about vaccine:

- Very few Swiss get vaccinated. Decreasing trend
- AFAIK vaccination (any vaccine) is not mandatory in most Swiss cantons
- In France, the number of people who get vaccinated is in free fall
- It's recommended to get the flu shot if you are 65 or older or if you have a chronic medical condition
- Flu vaccine is nowhere near 100% effective (effectiveness: less than 70%):

Influenza Outbreak in a Vaccinated Population USS Ardent, February 2014

In Feb 2014, there was an outbreak of influenza-like illness among American sailors despite the fact that 99% of American servicemen had gotten the flu shot.
You were unlucky, go figure

Figures/references to back up your Swiss and France vaccine rates please, otherwise they're not "facts".
No vaccine is 100% effective and and none claim to be. Flu is even lower as the seasonal vaccine is always a "best estimate" for the most likely expected strain for the forthcoming season (as I explained in earlier). It won't protect you agaisnt a strain not indluded in the season's trivalent vaccine.
The isolate from the USS Ardent outbreak was similar, but not identical, to that season's H3N2 vstrain included in the vaccine; it can happen as explained above.
All in all, the benefits of any vaccine vastly outweigh any possible negative side effects.