View Single Post
Old 10.11.2014, 07:30

Groaned at 18 Times in 12 Posts
OfficeGirl has earned some respectOfficeGirl has earned some respect
Re: London vs Zurich

A lot going on here. There are many countries today that are doing far better than the west. How they divide their wealth among their population is a separate issue than the wealth accumulated by a nation. Most of Asia is characterized by extremely elitist vertical societies.

India is probably one of the most corrupt countries in the world. Corruption holds back the growth of a nation. If you read a history of Singapore, rooting out corruption was one of the primary goals of Lee Kuan Yew and I have no doubt that China will make tackling corruption one of its priorities going forward.

There is an NGO (Transparency International) that tracks corruption country by country:-

http://www.transparency.org/country

The rule of law and developed political institutions are the remaining advantages that western countries still have.

@FuriousRose - if you can't become a westerner why do most western countries have integration programs? Why do many European governments have ethnic minorities in them? Why do you see people of all colours of the rainbow on US, UK and French television?

The west needs to start looking after itself and stop intervening abroad. The colonial argument is simply dead - I've already pointed out that many of the richest countries are no longer western.

There is a Chinese proverb which states: "Before you prepare to change the world, look around your house three times." I think the west would do well to stop feeling guilty, start looking out for itself first, and adopt the same pragmatic approach to international relations that much of the rest of the world does (look out for yourself first).
The following 2 users would like to thank OfficeGirl for this useful post:
This user groans at OfficeGirl for this post: