View Single Post
Old 10.11.2014, 10:20
Forum Legend

Groaned at 494 Times in 376 Posts
Thanked 9,893 Times in 5,248 Posts
Phos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond repute
Re: London vs Zurich

Quote:
View Post
Being a westerner is more deeply embodied in a socially constructed perspective on how certain group people are or look like. I honestly don't perceive my American-born Asian fellows as westerners, and similarly the Afro-American ones. I was born and raised with perspective that the westerner are white, tall, blue eyes, blonde hair, eat bread or potatoes,.. etc...
I'm an American, and I can tell you that Americans are not identified by their genetic inheritance. There are plenty of Americans who are black, spanish, asian, etc.; who are more patriotically American then some whites. The only ones that really identify the nationality with a race are the likes of KKK and the Aryan Nation.

I'm now also Swiss. Damn, I have a lot of nationalities. I can tell you that as a citizen, I feel and am responsible for the well-being of Switzerland. There are no half-citizenships in Switzerland. Anyone who tells you there is a difference in rights between a original Swiss and a "paper" Swiss is peddling racist hogwash that won't hold, particularly if you don't accept it. It doesn't mean I have to drop all my other cultural identities, and only take on the Swiss. It also does not mean I can't adapt the parts of Swiss culture I find beneficial either. Nationality, culture, ethnicity, down to individual choices; none of it mutually inclusive.
The following 2 users would like to thank Phos for this useful post: