View Single Post
Old 19.11.2014, 16:13

Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
BARB704 has no particular reputation at present
Re: Help! Swiss Inheritance Laws, Problem Executor?

Thank you for your help! My aunt was never married and the three of us are her closest relatives, other than us only cousins. All this has been established at the Canton level with much difficulties as to the US documents that we had and were acceptable to them finally. There was no personal property, except possibly clothing and toiletries as she spent the last 30 or so years at the convent as a housekeeper. She did have at least one bank account and the handwritten will seems to allude to that with numbers. It is very hard to translate something handwritten in my aunt's handwriting and the photocopies of things we were sent are simply awful! She wrote her letters in English so I had a point of reference and could get the general drift. I used google translate to write her. Despite my high school German it is impossible to translate large portions of the will because I have very little point of reference. I am having difficulty finding a Swiss German translator in the US even Berlitz has not called me back with a name of anyone. I assume she knows the executor as his address appears to be two residences from the convent where she resided. However on the official documents he seems to have an address on a different block, same street. In an unsigned, updated addendum to the will that I was able to translate, she also left the executor and another relative of his, I assume his wife a legacy, so I would assume that she knew him and he was not a Canton employee. On the documents the Canton sent, it appears he has already billed the estate 700 and something for documents a porti telefon, etc. I just find it odd that 10 months after her death the executor has not made any contact with us whatsoever. Our names and addresses are listed in the will. It seems he would have at least sent a letter of introduction and what he would require from us. The will is very straightforward as to division. The lineal descendants have been established with the Canton and it is established on the documents sent to us. Not knowing how much is in the estate, I hate to hire a lawyer, but I do not understand the Swiss legal system and no one involved, i.e., the executor, the convent, the Canton seems to be willing or able to reply to questions we pose which is worrisome to us. Thank you very much for your help! I will try again today to find a translator here in the US.
This user would like to thank BARB704 for this useful post: