View Single Post
Old 23.11.2014, 09:30
Kosti's Avatar
Kosti Kosti is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Oranje County
Posts: 488
Groaned at 27 Times in 17 Posts
Thanked 871 Times in 364 Posts
Kosti has a reputation beyond reputeKosti has a reputation beyond reputeKosti has a reputation beyond reputeKosti has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Student visa Geneva, living in Vaud

View Post
Let's make this clear. Your Type D visa is only to allow you to enter Switzerland legally long term, it has no effect on where you can live once you're here.

As you've applied to a school in Geneva that's the canton that has granted you permission to come and live and study there so that's where your student permit will be issued from. You need to find a place, temporarily at least, in Geneva so you can register and get your permit. Vaud cannot issue it to you because they are not the canton that granted it. However, because Geneva is a very small canton (city only basically) I wouldn't think there'd be any problem with you asking to live in Vaud as many people do this. Best thing to do though is contact them beforehand and ask, then you'll know if they have any objections and can plan your accommodation needs accordingly.

Office cantonal de la population et des migrations (OCPM)
Service Étrangers et Confédérés
Rte de Chancy 88
1213 Onex
tél. : 022 546 48 88
fax : 022 546 48 10
This is incorrect to my knowledge. Since 2008 the requirement to live in the same canton where the university/employer was based has been abolished.
I know this firsthand from having to live in Neuchatel from the date of arrival while having been admitted to an university in Vaud.

Vaud can issue a permit for a student in Geneva. It will simply take longer since they will have to get the OPs file from Geneva, and redo some paperwork that Geneva has already done.
Reply With Quote