View Single Post
Old 29.12.2014, 20:42
Forum Legend

Groaned at 19 Times in 18 Posts
Thanked 18,758 Times in 6,000 Posts
meloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Importing an animal and taxes

Heksita, I'm so pleased to hear that you are getting another dog. I hope this new friend brings you much happiness, and helps to heal the heartbreak of the loss of your girl.

Yes - you are supposed to pay Swiss MWSt on an animal bought abroad.

While I have adopted from abroad, I don't actually know how the CH-MWSt and DE-VAT refund works. I have always driven to pick up my 'Auslander' mutts, and have each time tried to stop and declare the newbie and pay the tax. However, each time I have been waived away, as the customs officers were 'too busy' to deal with me.

So since they were not interested in taking my money I've then simply registered the doglet with the vet in CH.

Take from that what you will - best to be prepared to pay the MWSt, and hope for the best.

But... and hopefully someone who has actually done the German VAT refund and paid the Swiss MWSt can chime in.
This user would like to thank meloncollie for this useful post: