View Single Post
Old 01.01.2015, 21:11

Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
BayrischDude has no particular reputation at present
Re: SwissCaution - the apartment deposit lenders thread

I just read something on this that I find a wee bit troubling and wrote a letter to Swisscaution to ensure I understand what I read.

Hypothetically, let's say a flat has a rent amount of CHF 2500 and I only plan to stay in the flat for 10 years, although the length of time is not really a huge matter for this example. At the end of the 10 years, I have paid CHF 3786 to Swisscaution.

Their advertisements state when the lease agreement is terminated and the flat vacated, with my authorisation they will pay to have anything repaired or replaced which the landlord reports I caused up to the full amount of the deposit. Now the troubling part - I am to reimburse Swisscaution.

Let's say I destroyed a door (although unlikely) and it costs CHF 2000 to replace (also unlikely). I have paid CHF 5786 to Swisscaution. This is not similar to insurance. Unless I have misinterpreted something.

No insurance is similar to this. Had I deposited CHF 7500 into an account with the landlord, I would leave with CHF 5500 after the ten years and a replaced door. I am anxious to see how Swisscaution resonds.