View Single Post
Old 07.01.2015, 20:10
Forum Legend

Groaned at 250 Times in 176 Posts
Thanked 9,005 Times in 3,405 Posts
Pancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A shooting just happened in ( *fill in the blank * )

Quote:
View Post
according to Olygirl's logic - very few. The caricature mocked ISIS which, she assures us, is a tiny minority.

Olygirl simply pointed out the fact that it is only the minority of Muslims who are radical and will easily resort to violence to defend their beliefs. Her statement in no way supports a theory that it would only be the small minority of Muslims that would take offense if every newspaper were to publish that cartoon on their front page.

Being offended by something and reacting violently to that offense are two very different things. If every newspaper were to put those cartoons on their front page, I'm quite certain that it would offend more than just the minority of Muslims that constitute the jihadists. I'm sure there would be plenty of non-violent Muslims (the majority of them) who would also be offended but would not be willing to resort to violence because of it.

Quote:
View Post
Western values of free speech is not the problem here. It is the solution. It has come hand in hand with Free Thinking, and the progresses made in innovating every aspect of our lives. It IS the only defense we have against tyranny and ignorance...
But I think that the freedom of speech should come with some degree of responsibility, particularly since it is often used solely as a means to offend or "get a laugh" -- as was perhaps (or most likely) the case with the cartoons published by this newspaper. What else could their intentions have been?

Well, of course no one deserved to lose their lives because of these cartoons, but at the same time, I do think it's time that all sides start taking more moral responsibility for their actions, because if we really do want peace, then perhaps we should consider acting accordingly. I don't want my little boy to grow up in a world in which the tensions between the Muslim world and the non-Muslim world have escalated into a full-blown third world war, particularly if it was in part due to our own inability to understand the fact that, regardless of it being right or wrong, there are some people out there who are willing to kill on behalf of their religion and to defend what they hold as sacred. Despite how much we might disagree with that kind of belief system, if we don't respect the fact that it does (and probably always did and always will) exist, then it's just a vicious circle, and there will never be peace between the Muslim world and the non-Muslim world.

Simply because we are allowed the freedom of speech doesn't mean that we should always take the opportunity to abuse it.
This user would like to thank Pancakes for this useful post:
The following 2 users groan at Pancakes for this post: