View Single Post
Old 07.01.2015, 20:25
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 69 Times in 52 Posts
Thanked 5,074 Times in 1,802 Posts
crazygringo has a reputation beyond reputecrazygringo has a reputation beyond reputecrazygringo has a reputation beyond reputecrazygringo has a reputation beyond reputecrazygringo has a reputation beyond reputecrazygringo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A shooting just happened in ( *fill in the blank * )

Quote:
View Post
But I think that the freedom of speech should come with some degree of responsibility, particularly since it is often used solely as a means to offend or "get a laugh" -- as was perhaps (or most likely) the case with the cartoons published by this newspaper. What else could their intentions have been?

Well, of course no one deserved to lose their lives because of these cartoons, but at the same time, I do think it's time that all sides start taking more moral responsibility for their actions, because if we really do want peace, then perhaps we should consider acting accordingly. I don't want my little boy to grow up in a world in which the tensions between the Muslim world and the non-Muslim world have escalated into a full-blown third world war, particularly if it was in part due to our own inability to understand the fact that, regardless of it being right or wrong, there are some people out there who are willing to kill on behalf of their religion and to defend what they hold as sacred. Despite how much we might disagree with that kind of belief system, if we don't respect the fact that it does (and probably always did and always will) exist, then it's just a vicious circle, and there will never be peace between the Muslim world and the non-Muslim world.
you're absolutely right, the answer here is to cow-tow to violence, barbarism and irrationality.

if you travel to the parts of the world governed by institutionalized Islam, you will find remarkably little interest for "peace" or "understanding" with the "western world". and I used the word "institutionalized" intentionally, there is no more intrinsically flawed about Islam than there is about Judaism, Christianity or any other organized faith, but there is very definitely a disconnect between the way Islam has been institutionalized in parts of the world and the "western world".

if you'd like, of course, you can stroll the streets of Riyadh and ask around and see how much "understanding" you find.
The following 2 users would like to thank crazygringo for this useful post: