View Single Post
Old 07.01.2015, 20:36
Forum Legend

Groaned at 251 Times in 177 Posts
Thanked 9,248 Times in 3,472 Posts
Pancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A shooting just happened in ( *fill in the blank * )

Quote:
View Post
Absolutely nothing can justifiy this violence and murder. The journalists at Charlie Hebdo knew the risks they were taking and Charb the director clearly said "I prefer to die standing, than live kneeling". They were the defenders of the right to speak and publish. They are paying today a high price....so that WE all here can still exercise our rights for freedom. Charlie Hebdo mocked equally christians, jews, muslims and right-extremists.
What I find strange about that quote, though, is that I doubt anyone had actually been forcing him to "kneel." Simply because something exists that we ourselves do not believe in does not mean that we are directly threatened by it. And simply because something exists that we ourselves do not believe in does not mean that we should cease it as an opportunity to attack it.

Quote:
View Post
A quote from this article, particularly poignant since it comes from one of those (and I use this word deliberately) martyred today in the long fight against extremism.

"Charbonnier, Charlie Hebdo’s editor, sounds exactly sensible and intelligent when he says that the cartoons will only “shock those who will want to be shocked.” He also told Le Monde, “I don’t feel as though I’m killing someone with a pen. I’m not putting lives at risk. When activists need a pretext to justify their violence, they always find it.”"
But he did put lives at risk (whether intentionally or not), because those people would quite likely still be alive today if it hadn't been for the magazine publishing (creating?) those cartoons.

I appreciate satire as much as the next person, but being that he had a bodyguard, etc., it sounds like he was well aware of the potential consequences.

It reminds me a bit of that cult leader (in the US) a while back whose worship service involved handling poisonous snakes. Eventually, he died of a snake bite.

How does that saying go? "You play with fire, you will get burnt..."

Again, I very much appreciate the freedom of speech, but I think it comes with a certain level of responsibility. Kind of like driving.