View Single Post
Old 07.01.2015, 21:24
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 20 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 2,845 Times in 1,204 Posts
amaraya has a reputation beyond reputeamaraya has a reputation beyond reputeamaraya has a reputation beyond reputeamaraya has a reputation beyond reputeamaraya has a reputation beyond reputeamaraya has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A shooting just happened in ( *fill in the blank * )

Quote:
View Post
What I find strange about that quote, though, is that I doubt anyone had actually been forcing him to "kneel." Simply because something exists that we ourselves do not believe in does not mean that we are directly threatened by it. And simply because something exists that we ourselves do not believe in does not mean that we should cease it as an opportunity to attack it.

But he did put lives at risk (whether intentionally or not), because those people would quite likely still be alive today if it hadn't been for the magazine publishing (creating?) those cartoons.

I appreciate satire as much as the next person, but being that he had a bodyguard, etc., it sounds like he was well aware of the potential consequences.

It reminds me a bit of that cult leader (in the US) a while back whose worship service involved handling poisonous snakes. Eventually, he died of a snake bite.

How does that saying go? "You play with fire, you will get burnt..."

Again, I very much appreciate the freedom of speech, but I think it comes with a certain level of responsibility. Kind of like driving.
ok. i'll have a go at this because i like pancakes

first of all- it's satire- not slapstick humor but one that provokes the audience to question the legitimacy and ridiculousness of political views, religious views, all other forms of dogma, etc. this isn't for shits and giggles but to show how tightly we/some/anyone hold onto views and thoughts etc that can be harmful, ridiculous, dangerous and all sorts of other kinds of wrong. charlie hebdo satirizes many things- radical religious views being one of many and i urge you to take a look at it as a philosopher (i think you said before?) you may really like it or at least appreciate it as it provokes deeper thinking about current events, etc.

ok. now the part about kneeling, was relating to the pressure/threats put on them by various groups who threatened journalists, the publication, etc.
meaning, he would prefer to continue to express and question rather than cowtow (sp?) to brute force and threats. i personally have a lot of respect for all who worked there in not bowing down to threats and continuing to exercise their freedom of speech against oppression, violence and the like. playing with fire is exactly what needs to be done sometimes- especially when dealing with groups who seek to silence people by fear, violence and threats. he was well aware of the threats, he had a bodyguard and he knew his work was greater and more important than he himself was.

personally, i have only respect for those who choose to open up and speak, question and keep going in the face of threats. these are usually the moments when it is most needed.
The following 5 users would like to thank amaraya for this useful post: