View Single Post
Old 08.01.2015, 22:54
Forum Legend

Groaned at 247 Times in 173 Posts
Thanked 8,920 Times in 3,369 Posts
Pancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: France: Charlie Hebdo Office shootings

Quote:
View Post
No, no, no. I think she means especially tolerant to Muslims and Islam. Question, insult, ridicule and denigrate all other beliefs by all means, but just don't raise an inkling of a doubt about Islam. It apparently causes a morality system crash with its adherents, and they lose their peace.

And by the way, don't even ask about tolerance in any Muslim country for non-Believers. Peace and tolerance is only for other Muslims, maybe; unless others convert or pay a special tax that will allow them to be considered somewhat human.

Just follow, obey and don't question, because it is a religion of peace.
Every Muslim that I've ever met and have been fortunate enough to have a real conversation with has never expressed any intolerance toward the fact that I do not, in any way, follow Islam. I worked for a Muslim man for four years, and he was one of the nicest, funniest and most down-to-earth people I have ever met. I'm sure there are many Muslims out there who realize that we, in the West, also tend to follow the ideologies of the countries/cultures that we have been born into. Perhaps you don't want to accept that, because it contradicts your own assumptions about Muslims and may not justify your dislike and distrust of Muslims in general, but how can you really expect that there is not diversity among the roughly 1.6 billion Muslims in the world? Obviously, not all of them are jihadists and wish you dead.

It's the same with Christianity. There are some who do believe that every non-believer will burn in hell, etc. and who show very little tolerance toward non-believers. And there are some who label themselves as "Christians" but don't make a point of attacking the beliefs of other religions or accusing them of sinning because they are not Christian.

There are plenty of "liberal Muslims" out there. And I would say the very same about Christians. I myself am agnostic in that I think that, if there is a god, it is probably far beyond the reaches of human understanding. But I can assure you that if I came across a thread that was repeatedly attacking and/or generalizing all Buddhists or Christians, etc., I would probably be defending them as well. The reason why you have witnessed me defend Muslims here is because that is the religion that has been most focused upon in this thread... and also the religion that I think is often the most ridiculed and misunderstood in the West.

Last edited by Pancakes; 08.01.2015 at 23:16.
This user would like to thank Pancakes for this useful post: