View Single Post
Old 09.01.2015, 18:09
Forum Legend

Groaned at 446 Times in 384 Posts
Thanked 18,525 Times in 9,814 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: France: Charlie Hebdo Office shootings

Quote:
View Post
It was the police who had chosen their own professions, not their families who chose it for them. When I consider their grief, I do find myself wondering what is more important: the existence of this magazine, or the innocent lives that were lost but were not directly involved in the magazine? Yes, they are policemen/women... but they were also husbands/wives, fathers/mothers...

Surely, even the families of some of those killed at the magazine must be wondering if it was worth it.

Yes, the freedom of speech is precious, but like all things that are truly precious, it should be handled carefully.

Question is; once you change your life as a reaction to fanatics then it is a slippery slope and where do you draw the red line?
Suppose, for an extreme example, they ordered that all women in France should wear head scarves?
The following 2 users would like to thank marton for this useful post: