View Single Post
Old 09.01.2015, 19:41
Forum Legend

Groaned at 240 Times in 203 Posts
Thanked 23,170 Times in 9,846 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: France: Charlie Hebdo Office shootings

Quote:
View Post
Let's say someone came up to you and confided in you that they were planning to go into a mosque and begin accusing everyone in it of being an idiot for following Islam, because that's how they personally felt and they thought they were entitled to do so, because of their freedom of speech.

Would you encourage them?
I think you are confusing things we should encourage with things we should allow.

And in fact, many reasonable muslims are open to debating Islam in civilised terms and even seek out that debate. So that basically means they are preapred to listen to you telling them they are idiots (in more perfumed words of course) and I'm sure they also have some counter-erguments to that.

Quote:
View Post
All I'm trying to say here is basically that... if we do want to avoid escalated tensions between the Muslim and the non-Muslim world, then perhaps the best way to do that is not with crude satire.
Is an escalation of debate not a component of political discourse?
The following 2 users would like to thank amogles for this useful post: