View Single Post
Old 09.01.2015, 20:43
Forum Legend

Groaned at 247 Times in 173 Posts
Thanked 8,913 Times in 3,368 Posts
Pancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: France: Charlie Hebdo Office shootings

Quote:
View Post
you cannot de-escalate tensions with an irrational person. put another way, there is no tension between rational Muslims and rational non-Muslims.
I understand and appreciate your point, but regardless of whether or not we can de-escalate the tensions, I do think that we have the ability to escalate them.

Quote:
View Post
Going by that logic will you be bending backwards for say an atheist, gay or Muslim apostate who wants Quran banned or goes around shooting Muslims because Islam is a direct threat to their ideology and identity?
No, because you cannot support the freedom of belief and also support enforced belief.

Quote:
View Post
Nothing, as far as I can tell. Was listening to one of the channels earlier (sorry, forget which one) and they had a guest expert speaking. Said guest speculated that these men are just criminals, not "true" Islamists. I guess in addition to their existing criminal records they were behaving in a criminal manner and not a jihadist manner with these attacks. Not sure I fully understand it all but the argument (of the guest speaker) is that these are simple criminals using Islam as an excuse for their actions, nothing more.
Well, my apologies then. The majority of this thread (earlier) had led me to believe that the terrorists had attacked the magazine in reaction to the fact that it had published satirical cartoons regarding Islam. I think that's also what the media had assumed, no?