View Single Post
Old 10.01.2015, 10:54
Forum Legend

Groaned at 250 Times in 176 Posts
Thanked 8,959 Times in 3,384 Posts
Pancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: France: Charlie Hebdo Office shootings

Quote:
So tell me now... did those guys do what they did in the name of religion?
My guess is "yes." Because otherwise, it seems just a bit too coincidental that they had chosen to attack a magazine that is so well-known (in France) for publishing satirical images of Mohammed, etc. If their religion (rather, their personal interpretations of their religion) was irrelevant, then why wouldn't they have attacked something or someone seemingly more random?

I do agree, though, with what someone else had mentioned here earlier... that it wasn't religion/Islam that caused them to do this, but it was likely more due to a predisposition toward violence. This is why, for example, some Muslims can be offended by anti-Muslim sentiments but not retaliate violently, while others (thankfully, the minority) do.

Oops, I see now that you edited your post (that I had quoted). Personally, I think that all people who follow religion are, to some extreme, brainwashed. And I definitely think that the majority of us are culturally brainwashed. But there are some Islamic scholars who have stressed that anyone willing to kill to defend Islam is not a "true" Muslim. It does seem that their holy book is open for interpretation (and misinterpretation)...as is, I think, the Bible.