View Single Post
Old 10.01.2015, 12:43
Forum Legend

Groaned at 333 Times in 258 Posts
Thanked 11,716 Times in 6,858 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: France: Charlie Hebdo Office shootings

Quote:
How many young French Muslims have you talked to about their experience in finding apprenticeships, jobs, a flat even, going into a Club, simple every day things? I think you are being very naïve Wooli.

So well illustrated by Zebda's song (a group of young Beur musicians from Toulouse) 'ah non, ça va pas être possible, ah non'. Constant rejection is very condusive to lead to extremes eventually. Remember that the brothers were NOT brought up in a Muslim family environment, but were orphans brought up by State institutions.

One of our daughters spent a year at a French uni, in the 90s- she was truly shocked by the sheer racisms against Muslim/arab students. And also the constant police harrassment of them.

Well, there is a daily trouble to whomever looks Beur in France. And the musicians you mentioned had to learn that they looked different
- nose gets larger than those of the others
- your Feelings differ from the majority
- you never get sunburnt, which is an advantage but seen as suspicious
- you are brown already at the beginning of the season and get dark-brown later and
hear yourself being described as he is a darkie
- people speak about you as that mulatto there even if you regard yourself as a White
- a mother of a school-colleage do not allow YOU to see the birthday present out of fear that her friends might conclude that Max has a Tschingg as a friend
- you suddenly, after a boy declared loudly Tschingge hinne aschtaa were at the end of the line with a Sicilian -- I went to Globus and he to Hug. I since 1967 never went to the Schallplatten-Abteilung of Jelmoli ever again
--- yes I admit, the last two personal experiences DID hit. I then thought I would forget These humiliations but never managed to do so. Such humiliations are ever burning wounds