View Single Post
Old 11.01.2015, 12:40
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 69 Times in 52 Posts
Thanked 5,074 Times in 1,802 Posts
crazygringo has a reputation beyond reputecrazygringo has a reputation beyond reputecrazygringo has a reputation beyond reputecrazygringo has a reputation beyond reputecrazygringo has a reputation beyond reputecrazygringo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: France: Charlie Hebdo Office shootings

Quote:
My mention of circumcision was in direct refererence to Muslim friends and relatives, actually.

More from Will Self about rights and responsibilities:

http://bcove.me/eqoeo8tq
the drawing of any direct nexus between rights and responsibilities is philosophically dangerous and just simply not accurate, at least as the notion of "rights" is recognized in most of the western world. the exercise of a right may come with consequences, that is unquestionable, but those consequences do not derive from a breach of responsibility and in fact more often than not bear no nexus to a breach of responsibility at all.

put another way, I have no obligation whatsoever to exercise my right to freedom of expression "responsibly", and to suggest otherwise is dangerous and, candidly, a recipe for totalitarianism. I certainly have a responsibility to accept the reasonable and rational consequences of my exercise of my right to freedom of expression, e.g. being called an asshole or having people refuse to purchase my newspaper, but that is a different matter altogether.
This user would like to thank crazygringo for this useful post: