View Single Post
Old 12.01.2015, 10:00
la mod

Groaned at 117 Times in 95 Posts
Thanked 16,415 Times in 5,227 Posts
Castro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond repute
Re: France: Charlie Hebdo Office shootings

Quote:
View Post
I might be wrong, and DB can correct me if I am, but I think his point is that he'll defend your right to read out Martin Luther King speeches at a KKK rally, but as you're lying there thinking "At least I was right. I have the moral high ground" while having your head kicked in, he's not going to have a lot of sympathy. And that the 'intellecual elite' watching from the sidelines, shouting "yay you" don't seem to be getting their hands dirty helping you out.

You reap what you sow.
That precisely sums it up IMHO.
For me the whole debate hinges on 'Intent', as in comedy when a joke comes from the right place then it can be racist, homophobic, Islamaphobic etc.. and everyone can laugh together. However when its spiteful, churlish, condescending and targets people at the very bottom echelons of society then you lose my respect somewhat. Fine, carry on an do it to prove some high brow principle on your rights to free speech, but don't expect my applause.
This user would like to thank Castro for this useful post: