View Single Post
Old 13.01.2015, 00:41
Forum Legend

Groaned at 333 Times in 258 Posts
Thanked 11,716 Times in 6,858 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: France: Charlie Hebdo Office shootings

Quote:
View Post
hmmmm, so I guess you would prefer that the rest of the world simply permitted the people of Syria to suffer civil war for the next 20 years?

as for the actual topic, I apologize that this is in Swiss German (and further apologize if it has been posted elsewhere and I missed it), but I found this discussion interesting for a couple of reasons:

1. the poor Muslim woman obviously feels compelled, like many Muslims, to first express her outrage. I actually don't think rational Muslims have any obligation whatsoever to apologize for these horrific acts, nor do they have any obligation to "defend" or "explain" Islam, and I wish we would stop insisting that they do so.

2. I remain disappointed in how few people actually recognize that the problem has nothing to do with Islam, but rather with politics and oppression. Islam is the tool du jour, obviously, but the real problems are not intrinsic to Islam.

3. I loathe it when people try to draw a nexus between these acts of terrorism and the presence of western military forces in the middle east or Africa. that nexus exists without question when rebels attack US or other military convoys in Iraq or Syria, but to suggest that the murder of unarmed civilians in an office in Paris has any nexus whatsoever to a civil war in Syria or elsewhere is just plain absurd.

4. it disgusts me to see Netanyahu and others try to milk this tragedy for purposes of pushing their own political agenda.

you will have to click the link to the "Terror in Frankreich" piece for the video:

http://www.srf.ch/sendungen/arena

It is a PRIMEUR to see Netanyahu to show his sympathies for two Arab Muslims killed by extremîsts, and their families and friends