View Single Post
Old 15.01.2015, 11:05
Forum Legend

Groaned at 339 Times in 277 Posts
Thanked 14,913 Times in 7,672 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: France: Charlie Hebdo Office shootings

Quote:
View Post
Time and again it comes down to different perspectives and a break down in human empathy e.g. I am an atheist with a fundamental hatred of all religion and therefore I will take the piss out of any religious figures and any superstitious idiot who doesn't like it can go to hell.

However if someone were to wipe their bottom with my Flag or play La Marseillaise backwards over a dope beat then they should rightly be arrested and fined or thrown in prison (its a crime to insult the French national anthem or flag, punishable by a fine of upto €7,500 and 6 months in jail).

So an abstract notion of nationalism is sacred, but not something equally tangible and important to an individual as their religious and cultural identity??
If I "insult" the French flag in China will I be punished there or what would be the consequences? And more importantly, how could one insult the French flag? Making underpants out of it, bras, what exactly could constitute an insult?
P.S. One thing I'm sure of is that at least there won't be death threats...

Last edited by greenmount; 15.01.2015 at 11:20.