View Single Post
Old 15.01.2015, 11:22
Forum Legend

Groaned at 444 Times in 382 Posts
Thanked 18,495 Times in 9,802 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: France: Charlie Hebdo Office shootings

Quote:
View Post
So in Franch they're having a crackdown on "hate speech". What I find odd is the following though:
  • A man of 22 was jailed on Tuesday for a year for posting a video mocking one of the three murdered policemen
  • A man of 20 was jailed in Orleans for shouting "long live the Kalash[(nikov]" at police in a shopping centre

Surely if no one is getting threatened then this is just freedom of speech? No matter how sick it may be.

Meanwhile, the media of the Muslim world don't seem to be able to distinguish between race and religion.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-30812155
Difficult to comment without knowing the background.
The fanatics who did the shooting were "known to the police" but you cannot lock people up because of what they might do.
Possibly these people were also "known to the police" so the police are now taking the opportunity in the current climate to lock them up; or maybe that is too optimistic a scenario?
As already posted following such people is not practical; policemen in France work around 35 hours per week so you would need at least 5 police for each suspect; probably double that so they can take toilet and meal breaks.

I am not sure why this thread has drifted into a discussion on freedom of speech. I assume we all believe we should not kill people who say things we do not like?

Maybe there is a hidden assumption that if Charlie had been stopped then there would have been no shootings? This assumption is destroyed by the fact there were killings a long way away from the Charlie premises and unrelated to freedom of speech.

BTW, I liked the quote about patriotism