View Single Post
Old 16.01.2015, 10:10
Forum Legend

Groaned at 339 Times in 277 Posts
Thanked 14,957 Times in 7,684 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: France: Charlie Hebdo Office shootings

Quote:
View Post
To be honest, I haven't seen nor digested all his works. I find many Charlie Hebdo's examples to be offensive, and whatever his opinions were, I am sure I would not have agreed with him. Seems to be some form of leftist atheist shock art. Whatever it was, I don't think snuffing him out was the smart thing to do. It is disgusting, and would have just martyred him anyway. But respect for talent where it is due, nevertheless.
But you believed that from the very beginning, didn't you?
Although I'm not particularly fond of some of their cartoons because I can imagine people have sensibilities and I for one wouldn't hurt anyone's feelings if I can avoid it (but I admit they made me laugh, especially those about Christianity), I think every ideology ought to be subject to criticism. They didn't spare anyone's feelings... Besides, it might be of some interest for you to know that in their last edition (prior to them being executed), quite on the cover, they ridiculed Michel Houellebecq and his book "Submission". If that doesn't dissipate every doubts one may have, I don't know what else would.
True, nobody has to like what they did.