View Single Post
Old 19.01.2015, 03:42
Forum Legend

Groaned at 38 Times in 29 Posts
Thanked 5,673 Times in 2,039 Posts
TidakApa has a reputation beyond reputeTidakApa has a reputation beyond reputeTidakApa has a reputation beyond reputeTidakApa has a reputation beyond reputeTidakApa has a reputation beyond reputeTidakApa has a reputation beyond repute
The good times are over !!!

Well, I wasn't feeling comfortable about leaving Switzerland without offering a formal 'goodbye' to the forum which has offered me so much help over the years. So here are some final parting words for all of you on the forum who have helped to make my time here worthwhile.

I spent a good five and a half years in Switzerland and can honestly say I had a great time. I didn't leave because I'm a whinging expat, but rather opportunity took it's course and I felt it was time to "pull the pin" and start a new chapter somewhere else.

In hindsight, Switzerland is actually pretty awesome and I'm already missing the place. I have been "Switzerlanded", caught in bureaucratic red tape, and scalded by the elderly more times than i care to admit, but it was all worth it. There is nothing bad about Switzerland, just things that are 'different'. The sooner you adjust to this and stop referencing how things are in 'your country', the sooner you truly begin to appreciate what the place has to offer.

In leaving this place I want to thank all of you for the endless helpful advice, the banter, and the general sense of 'community' that is offered here to help make Switzerland such an amazing place for an expat to live.
I'd love to name everyone, but the list would be too long, as so many of you help out in the most incredible ways to make this place great. Meloncollie's pet corner posts, Grumpygrapefruit's external bar/forum meeting point, Anyone posting on a car for sale, Richdog (ha ha, you know), Musicchick keeping the balance, and Nil generally adding fire to everything, the list goes on and it all helps.
There is one special thanks I'd like to offer, and this is to the Swiss nationals who participate on the forum. You guys put up with a lot of our frustration while we adapt to live here, but preserve to help keep us in line and offer some of the best help anyone could ask for. So thank you.

Newbies, if you're still reading, the veterans on the forum can be a pack of grumpy pricks, but they genuinely want to help (or else they wouldn't still be here). Try not to lose your temper, and use the search function where you can and you'll start to love this place as well.

You guys have a very special (not in a 'German' way') community here that you should be proud of. Keep up the good work, and I wish you all the best for the future.

So in the words of the Von trap family "so long, farewell, aufwiedersehen goodnight" de-dedala-da-de-de-deeeee....
The following 85 users would like to thank TidakApa for this useful post:
3Wishes, AbFab, Acakoning, adrianlondon, Aeneas, AnAustralian, Anjela, Anthony1406, arrow, Belgianmum, Big Mara, Captain Greybeard, Castro, Chuff, Clumsy Maman, Confloozed, coolcd, crazygringo, crimson, Deltagolf, Dilbert, doropfiz, eddiejc1, flow23, FMX, FuriousRose, greenmount, grumpygrapefruit, hannah'sauntie, i-b-deborah, IrishLocal, jain, jbarwig, Jern, JourneyMan, Just_A_Mutt, kiwigeek, Leggat, Litz, lost_inbroad, Marsalforn, meloncollie, Mélusine, MidfieldGeneral, Miostar, Mrs. Doolittle, murphy70, Nixi, olygirl, Patsycat, Phil_MCR, Pixie B, Rangatiranui, sandaleen, Sbrinz, Sean Connery, SemAms, simonminissale, Slaphead, smoky, Snoopy, spangley, st2lemans, SteffieM, stephanienie, stephen_NE, SuisseRomand, Tasebo, Texaner, The_Love_Doctor, TiMow, TobiasM, Tom1234, Treverus, Troublawesome, vanjaar, Verne, virtuallyswiss, Wabma, Wollishofener, zerogre