View Single Post
Old 20.01.2015, 15:11

Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
mjb has no particular reputation at present
Re: Re-entry to Switzerland, quite urgent

Quote:
View Post
I am pretty sure for non-EU they will ask. They certainly asked me in October when we returned from the states but they didn't ask to see the Swiss IDs for any of the other 4 family members I was traveling with as they have German passports...

But as Adrian says, just say you forgot it at home, and they hopefully will just tell you to make sure you have it with you the next time.
I'm on a US passport and they definitely ask, so you must be right about the non-EU thing. In fact I got quite a stern lecture/scolding the first time I tried just giving them my passport about how I should always show my residence permit with my passport no matter what. Since then I just hand both at the same time and haven't had a problem since.

But yes, it should be fine to just say you don't have it with you. Last year I had a work trip to Japan that departed right after my permit expired, so I had not yet received the new one the mail. I asked what I should do at the kreisburo and they told me it would be fine to just show the old one and say I'm waiting for the new card to arrive in the mail. It ended up being no problem, although I must admit I was a bit nervous handing over the expired card.